Thursday, August 15, 2013

Johanna Liberty

This is the story of how our sweet little lady arrived.

On July 17 I went for my weekly check-up at the OB-GYN. I thought it would be a normal visit and I'd be on my way. Unfortunately, I found out that my blood pressure had continued to climb. I'm still not sure if it was just the stress of all that we had gone through or if it was truly pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH). My doctor was very concerned and admitted me to L&D to be monitored with the possibility that the next evening it may be in our best interest to deliver baby by c-section. I spent 24 hours in a small observation room that felt a lot like staying in a closet. The entire time my blood pressure pivoted from high to normal to very high. I spent that time resigning myself to and mentally preparing for a c-section. Thursday evening the nurse came in and send they were sending me home on bedrest. In my emotional, hormonal state I begged them just to give me a c-section that night and get it over with. My doctor consented but when my husband heard the decision I made he talked some sense in to me and we decided to wait it out and hopefully try for our planned VBAC. I was so grateful in that moment to have a husband who would look out for my best interest and keep me grounded when I got a little crazy. Thursday evening I returned home and started my bedrest.

Fast forward one very LONG week to the following Wednesday July 24. Again I was headed to the doctor and I knew Johanna's arrival would be soon because my blood pressure had stayed continually high and gotten worse over the course of the week. I didn't realize that my doctor would admit that very night. Blessedly, God allowed for me to have an attempt at VBAC. Thursday morning at 7 am my induction began. My husband had stayed at home the night before to get some quality rest because we knew we were about to embark on a tiring journey. He was to arrive at 7 as my induction began, however at 8 am he still had not arrived. I received a phone call from his mom, letting me know that he was perfectly fine but had been rear-ended on his way and had to take care of talking to the police before he could get to the hospital. Overcome by the emotions of all the things that had led to this moment I couldn't help but laugh. Yes, that's right laugh. I knew I couldn't cry because I probably wouldn't have stopped and I needed my strength for labor. So I laughed at the craziness of our lives.
My husband arrived at around 9 am and he hadn't missed a thing. While I was waiting on his arrival my doctor had broke my water and increased the pitocin. We labored on. Later that day I was in so much pain from the combination of having my water broke and pitocin contractions that I did something I said I would never do. I accepted an epidural. It wasn't exactly the bliss that everyone around me had said it was. My tailbone soon became excruciatingly painful with every contraction. I received another dose of the epidural meds that helped for about an our and then the pain returned. It's foggy now but I think I received one more does of the epidural medication, still in pain but I continued to labor. When I had made it to 5cm I was ecstatic! I just knew I was going to have a successful VBAC. The nurse came in and started preparing the area where they would place the baby after birth. My hopes soared! Unfortunately, many hours later I was still only at 5cm. The doctor came in the room and relayed to us that my blood pressure was getting higher, I had developed a fever and the baby's heart rate was making her very uncomfortable. I knew what the next words out of her mouth would be. I sobbed in resignation, knowing that the safest thing for all of us was to give up on my hope of a natural delivery and allow her to perform a c-section.
After she left the room, everything happened so quickly and what seemed to be just a few short minutes later I was on the operating table and at 8:50pm Johanna Liberty came entered this world weighing 8lbs 8oz and measuring 21.5 inches long. We were overcome with joy!!

The greatest thing about my labor and delivery is that I have no regrets. I am so thankful that God paved the way to allow me to at least attempt a VBAC and every hour I labored was so worth it. On the other hand, I don't resent the fact that it ended in c-section. When they got to the baby they found her with the cord wrapped around her neck and her leg and she was presenting sunny side up. It was possible for her to be born vaginally but could have presented as a very dangerous situation. Unlike my birth experience with my son, I remember ever thing of this experience and that has allowed me to process it well.

 Although it wasn't exactly what I wanted I trust in God's sovereignty and His will and I believe everything was exactly as it was meant to be.

Until next time, may Christ's love and blessings be upon you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment