Thursday, October 28, 2010

She makes linen garments and sells them...

WHAT!?
There is much to be learned from the Proverbs 31 woman, much to which we should aspire. It is apparent to me that this woman was a fine seamstress. So in my quest to be a Proverbs 31 woman (or in my search to cure boredom) I decided to take up sewing. First project? A costume. I really wanted to be Queen Esther for Halloween but I doubted Esther would have worn anything that would have left her as scantily clad as most of the woman on the fronts of the costume packages. Alas, I decided I MUST learn how to sew and I should start with  making my costume. So just 4 days before I was to wear said costume my feat began. Fortunately, with the help of my dear mother, (who may or may not have wanted to throttle me as she tried to teach me over the phone-- from 500 miles away) I finished this project:


Sure it looks fine at first glance but please don't look closely! At the completion of this project I vowed I would never thread another bobbin or complete another backstitch.

Fast forward one week. There I sat wishing I could sew something just a bit (or a lot) better than the last project. I decided I should sew an apron. And here I sit today after my 500th attempt to make the first part of this apron, a ruffle. It is now I realize how the Proverbs 31 woman procured all of her wonderful qualities: she started sewing! In learning how to sew, you must keep your patience, your arms get strong (v. 17) from all the cutting and pinning and your dignity(v. 25) is most certainly tested (there may have been some yelling and tantrums during the completion my first project).

I may never sell my garments and my merchandise may never be profitable but one day I will learn to sew and on that day I will surely have gained some biblical qualities.


May Christ’s love and blessings be upon you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment