Sunday, April 1, 2012

Begin with the ending.

This Tuesday I am leading our ladies bible class on a study of the Proverbs 31 woman. Funny thing, I had this 'assignment' given to me by someone who doesn't know I write this blog. Oh, the irony. Anyway, tonight I am preparing for what I will say at the study. Do you feel like you could never measure up to the the woman mention in Proverbs 31? Do you avoid this chapter like the plague because you are so disheartened when you compare yourself to her? I hope not. This divine scripture is is so much more than the literal words written on the pages of the Bible. Let's look behind the words, what are the words describing?

The words talk about a woman who is loyal, respectful and supportive of her husband.
A woman who works hard to provide for her family.
She reaps the reward of hard work with her strength.
She provides food for her family.
She is a woman who cares for the needy.
A woman who is prepared for times ahead.
A woman who uses her skills.
She is wise.
She is kind.
She's not lazy.
Her husband and her children praise her for all that she does.
Finally and the part that is the foundation of all that she is: She fears the Lord.

Are any of these things unattainable? Call me naive if you must but I don't think there is a single Christian woman (married, single, children or no children) out there who cannot achieve all of these things. Look how this woman bears the Fruits of the Spirit mention in Galations 5: She is faithful and loving to her husband and family. She has goodness toward the needy. She has self-control over idleness. She speaks with kindness.  And these are just  few of the most obvious ones.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that any one woman could be 'perfect' but the characteristics of the Proverbs 31 woman are in fact attainable if we begin with the very thing mentioned in v. 30, "fear the Lord."

Until next time, may Christ's love and blessings be upon you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment